Applying for Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Dentistry means pitting yourself against a vast number of candidates who are all highly impressive, have extensive work experience and high grades in all their exams. At Canford we have a long history of bucking the odds and getting the vast majority of those who apply onto these very competitive courses.
Applying for Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or Dentistry is not for the faint-hearted! In 2013, for example, there were 84,395 applications for Medicine and just 7,515 places. More specifically, 1,800 students with straight As at A Level failed to get a place. However, the careers that result from these courses are highly dynamic, motivating and interesting: perhaps this is why the competition is so fierce!
At Canford we have a long history of application success. Over the past 10 years, 109 applicants have been offered places for all 3 disciplines, Medicine being the most popular. This has been achieved primarily through the hard work of those pupils although we are able to offer a great deal of support and guidance.
As well as academic excellence, the Admissions tutors are looking for a whole range of other attributes and we can really help with these. Another critical part of the process is matching the qualities of the candidate to the right institution so that we can get the best possible chance of success.
Some of the things that we do to help our pupils thinking of applying include:
• Advice on UCAS personal statements
• Help with finding voluntary and work experience opportunities
• Preparation and practice for admissions tests such as the UKCAT and BMAT
• Advice on interview technique and mock interview practice (both advisors currently interview candidates at the Peninsula Schools of Medicine and Dentistry)
• Organising visiting speakers and trips to institutions
• A medical ethics seminar facilitated by 2 doctors
• OC medical students providing help and advice for current pupils